Exploring the Historic Route 66 in Arizona: A Journey Through Time
Wednesday, 29th November 2023
The Legacy of Route 66
Route 66, also known as the “Mother Road,” is a legendary highway that has captured the imagination of travelers for decades. Established on November 11, 1926, and fully paved by 1938, this historic route originally stretched 2,448 miles from Chicago, Illinois to Santa Monica, California, passing through eight states, including Arizona
Route 66 in Arizona
In Arizona, Route 66 originally covered 401 miles, offering a unique blend of scenic beauty and historic charm
Cities and Attractions Along the Way
- Holbrook: A gateway to the Petrified Forest National Park, Holbrook is a must-visit for those exploring Route 66 in Arizona
- Winslow: Known for its significance both to railroad travelers and now to motorists, Winslow offers a peek into the vibrant history of Route 66
- Flagstaff: Located 80 miles from the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff is notable for its four-season experience and proximity to this world-famous landmark
- Williams: This charming small town, midway between Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, is known for its historic downtown district and numerous lodging and dining options
- Seligman: A preserved section of Route 66, Seligman captures a vibrant slice of classic Americana
- Kingman: The heart of historic Route 66 in Arizona, Kingman is a gateway to the past
- Oatman: This town is known for its rugged character and the presence of friendly burros roaming the streets
Tours and Starting Points
One popular tour option begins in Phoenix, looping northeast through incredible Sonoran Desert scenery towards Payson, and then onto Holbrook, where the Route 66 adventure truly begins. The tour takes travelers through Winslow, Flagstaff, and Williams, offering a rich experience of the historic road
Driving Directions from Phoenix
Starting from Phoenix, drivers can head northeast towards Payson, following the scenic routes that lead to Holbrook, the beginning point of the Route 66 segment in Arizona. This route provides an opportunity to witness the stunning landscapes of the Sonoran Desert.
Best Time to Visit
Best Starting Point in Arizona
For those looking to experience the essence of Route 66 in Arizona, starting from Holbrook is a great choice. It offers direct access to the preserved segments of this historic highway and serves as a gateway to other notable towns along the route.
Route 66 in Arizona is more than just a road; it’s a journey through American history, culture, and stunning landscapes. Whether you’re a history buff, a road trip enthusiast, or someone looking to experience a slice of classic Americana, Route 66 offers an unforgettable adventure. So, pack your bags, start your engines, and get ready to travel back in time on the iconic Route 66!
Looking for your perfect real estate match? Finding your dream agent is easy with https://www.carolroyseteam.com/. Our team consist of top Real Estate agent to help you with any of your real estate needs! Call Carol Royse at 480-530-8990. Or feel free to share our contact information with anyone you know that needs expert help in buying or selling their home.